How to value ecosystem services provided from soil biota in arable land through the CAP? - An interactive workshop for EU stakeholders", 27th February 2018, Brussels
In the European Biodiversa-funded project SoilMan we are analysing the inter-connections between soil biodiversity, agriculture management systems and economic consequences of changes in policy and practice. Soil biodiversity plays a crucial role in cropland for delivering key ecosystem services, i.e. plant nutrient availability, plant health, water quality and infiltration, carbon sequestration. We took the opportunity of the workshop to identify pathways how to foster benefits from soil organisms in agriculture production and how to positively influence soil-dependant ecosystem services in quantity and quality by shaping future political and agronomic decisions.
Together with the 25 stakeholders who participated in the workshop we identified ways how to provide incentives to farmers to adjust their farming practices in order to enhance the provision of ecosystem services with a particular focus on the upcoming reform of the Common Agriculture Policy in view of fostering soil protection and life in soils.
- Martin Potthoff, University of Göttingen, Germany: Welcome and introduction into the BiodivERsA project SoilMan
- Janne Bengtson, University SLU, Sweden: Soil biodiversity as driver for multiple ecosystem services on cropland
- Deborah Linsler: Outcomes from the first year of SoilMan
- Arwyn Jones,Joint Research Centre, Unit Land Resources
- Liisa Pietola, Chair of the Copa-Cogeca Working Party on Environment
- Markus Baldinger, Chairman of CEMA’s Technical Board, Chief Technical Officer Pöttinger Landtechnik GmbH
SoilMan-Project presented at the Open Day of the Thünen Institute offering much information about life in soil, Sunday, 27.05.2018
from left to right: Martin Potthoff, Tania Runge, Stefan Schrader, Martin Banse, Friederike Meyer-Wolfarth
Kick-off on 13-15 March 2017 in Göttingen, Germany
2nd project meeting on 27-29 September 2017 in Paimpont / Rennes, France
3rd project meeting on 7-9 March 2018 in Cordoba, Spain
4th project meeting on 17-19 September 2018 in Uppsala, Sweden